Feature request: use random MAC addresses when scanning

Eric Branson esbranson
Sun Jun 8 13:53:12 PDT 2014

Jouni and the rest,

I have a humble feature request: the option, preferably enabled by
default, to use random, locally administered MAC addresses when
sending probe and GAS frames etc. used in scanning and associated
station interrogation functions.

I think privacy is more important than ever, and I think consumers,
especially in the EU, are more sensitive to its implications, so I
think this feature would garner a very positive response. After all,
privacy isn't a privilege, its a right. I have the understanding that
this is a new feature on iOS 8, but regardless of whether this is
actually the case, I think it is a good idea. And if iOS has indeed
chosen this option as a default, I think it gives significant weight
to also adopting this as such.

There is no way I could implement this. I wouldn't even know where to
begin. If any of the developers, or anyone else, have some downtime in
the future, I think this feature should be given consideration.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
--
Eric