Can hwsim test router AP.

Anand Moon moon.linux
Thu Feb 20 19:29:14 PST 2014

Hi Jouni,

Thanks you very much. Thanks for the clarification.

-Anand Moon

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:20 PM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 09:03:28AM -0800, Anand Moon wrote:
> Can hwsim be used to test route AP wireless features or is it meant only for mac80211_hwsim.

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to with "hwsim" vs.
"mac80211_hwsim" -- they are the same thing for me and you can use
mac80211_hwsim to test router and AP wireless features..

If you are asking about whether the test scripts in tests/hwsim
directory can be used with other drivers than mac80211_hwsim, the answer
would be "in theory, with some changes". The main focus for this tests
is to validate hostapd/wpa_supplicant functionality and compatibility
with the kernel cfg80211/mac80211 implementation. However, there have
been some interest in being able to run a subset of the test cases with
separate devices using real Wi-Fi radios. It should be possible to do so
by extending the Hostapd and WpaSupplicant classes to communicate over
network connection to the hostapd/wpa_supplicant control interfaces.

Some of the test cases won't work as-is (e.g., hwsim_test connectivity
test cases would need to be implemented differently), but it should be
relatively straightforward to get large part of the tests working with
remote devices. This requires some effort, but hopefully not that large
step to get at least some of the tests working.

--
Jouni Malinen? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? PGP id EFC895FA