hosted dynamically ignore/respond to probe request from stations

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Oct 23 06:32:04 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:37:36AM -0400, Amit Shah wrote:
> Im trying to write a simple connection saturation algorithm for a bunch of linux nodes running hostapd.  On having max_num_sta connection, I want hostapd to move into hidden ssid mode (ignore_broadcast_ssid = 0).  I have updated src/ap/beacon.c to include a simple conditional statement and recompiled successfully, but my ssid still keeps showing up when the node is "saturated":
>
>     if ( hapd->num_sta >= hapd->conf->max_num_sta){
>       hapd->conf->ignore_broadcast_ssid = 1;
>     }else{
>       hapd->conf->ignore_broadcast_ssid = 0;
>     }

In general, I would not recommend using hidden SSID design for anything
taken into account it is a horrible hack, not compliant with the
standard, can cause issues with number of clients, and does not really
do what you are trying to do here. The AP continues to beacon and is
available in scan results even if it were not to reply to Probe Request
frames with broadcast SSID.