P2P Device support: how to deal with p2p_no_group_iface option

Arend van Spriel arend
Sat May 25 04:23:47 PDT 2013

Hi Jouni,

I looked into issues around hwsim p2p tests and got all but one p2p test
passing now (test_autogo_tdls). I had to remove the p2p_no_group_iface
option from the p2px.conf files, because otherwise it tries to change
the P2P management interface into a P2P group interface. When using
P2P_DEVICE and P2P management interface this is not allowed by
mac80211_hwsim. Also for brcmfmac the P2P_DEVICE interface is dedicated
and can only be added/deleted, but not changed. Not sure if that is true
for iwlmvm as well.

So I would like to discuss how to deal with the p2p_no_group_iface
option. As P2P_DEVICE is a new concept the name of the option may no
longer match what it intends. Is the option to force all P2P operations
to be done on a single interface, ie. wlan0 (or whatever is specified on
the command line) and no P2P_DEVICE is to be created. Or should it
change the interface from the command line as P2P group interface.

If we can make a decision here I can finalize the P2P_DEVICE support
changes.

Regards,
Arend