WPA_supplicant trouble connecting client to AP

Jouni Malinen j
Tue May 14 11:46:27 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 03:06:26PM +0200, Francisco Cuesta wrote:
> I'm experiencing some issues trying to connect a client to an AP. In
> the side of the AP everything seems ok, but when I set the client I
> don't know why its state doesn't change from DISCONNECTED as it can be
> seen on the wpa_supplicant output below.

Which wpa_supplicant are you using?

> where the configuration file is like
> network={
>     scan_ssid=1
>     ssid="irt-ah-inria-siebe"
>     bssid=64:70:02:3E:A7:82
>     key_mgmt=NONE
>

>     fixed_freq=1

What is this fixed_freq parameter? It sounds like this wpa_supplicant
version has some changes that do not exist in hostap.git and as such, it
is unclear how it behaves.

> The above command retrieves this
> wlan1: State: DISCONNECTED -> DISCONNECTED
> wpa_driver_nl80211_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
> netlink: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
> Daemonize..
>
> Any hint, why is my wlan1 always disconnected??

How do you know what it does after this? The -B option on the command
line requests wpa_supplicant to move into the background and that stops
the debug log to stdout. If you want to see after this, you would need
to either direct the log to a file or syslog or remove the -B option.