QUESTION: How to do a COMPUTER NAME (not user name) 802.1x (RADIUS) authentication with wpa_supplicant in Ubuntu 12.04?

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Mar 29 00:19:28 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 09:30:36AM +0800, McArthor Lee wrote:
> I'm not using NM to configure 802.1x. I'm configuring 802.1x with wpa_supplicant directly. And I'm trying to do a computer name authentication. I wonder if wpa_supplicant supports such authentication, and how to do it.

In most cases, I'd expect this to be just a configuration question,
i.e., to set the identity and certificate parameters that the server
side expects. I'm not sure what the exact NPS requirements here are, so
it is a bit difficult to comment on what could be missing or incorrect.
Anyway, the reason for denying authentication was "Authentication failed
due to a user credentials mismatch. Either the user name provided does
not map to an existing user account or the password was incorrect."
which does not more like something being different in identities rather
than something missing from implementation.