hostapd Won't Launch

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jan 25 11:50:08 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 02:09:26PM -0500, Ayron Jungren wrote:
> It is used if the USE flag "debug" is not set, which it isn't by
> default. To prevent CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y from being set, you'd
> either need to set USE="debug" globally (which is strongly recommended
> against) or specifically for hostapd. I agree that it's
> user-unfriendly, and I'll be filing a bug with Gentoo's Bugzilla later
> today to hopefully get them to remove that option. Would it be alright
> if I quoted your e-mail in that bug?

Interesting.. I can only wonder whatever happened when this was reported
last time as an issue for Gentoo years ago.. Apparently nothing. Anyway,
feel free to copy my notes on this to the bug and better luck with
getting it through this time.

> I'm glad it's working now, but then I'm confused as to why it didn't
> before. There weren't any errors with the configuration, hostapd just
> didn't do anything at all.

If you can reproduce this without CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y in .config, I
would be interested in seeing more details. It is a bit difficult to
debug this with debugging disabled ;-).