getting ANTSIGNAL

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Feb 9 02:38:56 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 08:52:45PM +0100, Daniel Scepka wrote:
> I am having problem to get RSSI (I mean DB_ANTSIGNAL) from the packets. I
> need this information on the AP side.
> I found IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_DB_ANTSIGNAL flag in function
> handle_monitor_read() in driver_nl80211.c file. The problem is that this
> case never happens.
> I also found out that this information is missing in radiotap header when I
> am sniffing packets coming to hostapd monitor interface. But when I am
> sniffing from another device, packets include signal information.

Please note that the current Linux design is moving away from using
monitor interface with hostapd. If you want to get the signal strength
within hostapd, I'd take a look at the NL80211_ATTR_RX_SIGNAL_DBM
attribute in management frame receive events (mlme_event_mgmt). If you
need the information outside hostapd, using a separate monitor interface
may be suitable. That said, I do actually see ssi_signal getting set in
handle_monitor_read().