about "IBSS RSN: Add a timeout for Authentication frame exchange"

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Aug 29 01:39:20 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:32:58AM +0200, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 08:46:40PM +0200, Nicolas Cavallari wrote:

I don't care much about the exact mechanism used here as long as it
works. The reason for the timeout mechanism to move to EAPOL exchange
was in the previous implementation resulting in constant failures in the
automated hwsim test cases that are run after each hostap.git commit.
That said, I think the implementation should be robust enough to work
even if the peer device does not support Authentication frame exchange.

We need to work with devices that use other implementations that this
specific one..

> > > In the latter case the other peer will immediately start sending EAPOL 1/4.
> > > So we will do the same right after.

There is no guarantee on the peer initiating EAPOL exchange here. If the
local device wants to set up the keys for the link, it better initiate
the exchange.

> In section 10.3.4 the standard says that Authentication is optional in an IBSS,
> but does not specify what to do in case of Auth reception.
>
> However 10.3.4.3 says what a station should do on Auth reception and in this
> case it does not state anything about the possibility of not answering.
> Therefore I think you were right: a STA in an IBSS must respond to the request.

I don't care what the standard says if deployed stations do not comply..
Whatever is implemented in wpa_supplicant needs to work with other
devices out there.