Does 802.11u require 802.1x?

Ben Greear greearb
Wed Aug 28 07:22:59 PDT 2013

On 08/28/2013 02:55 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 03:54:22PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> I've been trying to set up hostapd and supplicant to speak some 802.11u
>> for testing purposes.
>
> IEEE 802.11u is a set of various different functionalities, so please be
> more specific on what exactly you are trying to test.
>
>> So far, I have not tried setting up .1x on the AP, but based on
>> the nai_realm_find_eap it seems I have to be running .1x for this
>> to work?
>
> Interworking network selection as currently implemented is going to
> require WPA2-Enterprise, so yes, IEEE 802.1X/EAPOL authentication is
> needed for this to work. IEEE 802.11u may not mandate that, but I don't
> expect other cases to be deployed in practice.

I'm mainly trying to wrap my head around it well enough to support
802.11u and hotspot 2.0 for testing third-party equipment.  I'd like
to support whatever feature set hostapd and supplicant support, and
if that is not enough for my customers, then I'll try to implement
the parts that are not currently there...

I'll work on setting up .1x on the AP side today and see how that goes.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>