Tuning "roaming"

Ed W lists
Tue Sep 11 13:24:26 PDT 2012

On 11/09/2012 17:03, Dan Williams wrote:

> If Jouni thinks that the current signal thresholds shouldn't be changed,
> then a patch to let them be adjusted via the configuration is probably
> the best way to go.  FWIW I'm using:
>
> dbm < -75 :: min_diff = 4
> dbm < -70 :: min_diff = 6
> dbm < -65 :: min_diff = 8
> else min_diff = 15
>
> for a modified wpa_supplicant_need_to_roam() in events.c.  This may not
> work that well if you're in a car but it certainly seems to be a lot
> more stable at walking speeds.
>
> Dan

That looks very interesting

Actually I would suggest going up even higher?  At low signal levels I
find (outside of wide open spaces) that the levels are likely to
fluctuate quite a lot.  At higher levels the additional signal level
makes little difference.

The only exception might be for very strong signals where you can find
that newer cards seem to drop into a much higher speed mode when they
have very strong signal...

Thanks for the hint.  Jouni - what kind of patch would you accept around
this?  Any thoughts on the shape of the curve here?

Ed