Tuning "roaming"

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Sep 11 09:03:22 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 18:35 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Hi, am I missing, or are there any plans to add some variables to tune
> the roaming sensitivity? (ie the wpa_supplicant roaming, card is a
> RT2870 usb)
>
> We have some customers in mobile configuration and whilst all is ok in
> the lab, out in the field we seem to find that it's fairly easy to see
> reasonable sized swings in signal strength which in turn causes regular
> roaming jumps and interruption in service.  In fact several customers
> say they are literally bouncing between access points every 30/120
> seconds when using a config such as:
>      bgscan="learn:30:-64:120"

We've had exactly the same problem with some of our larger customers.
If you're using background scanning, and have a lot of access points,
you'll certainly hit this problem of ping-ponging between APs on each
scan which increases the possibility of an 802.1x auth failure.

If Jouni thinks that the current signal thresholds shouldn't be changed,
then a patch to let them be adjusted via the configuration is probably
the best way to go.  FWIW I'm using:

dbm < -75 :: min_diff = 4
dbm < -70 :: min_diff = 6
dbm < -65 :: min_diff = 8
else min_diff = 15

for a modified wpa_supplicant_need_to_roam() in events.c.  This may not
work that well if you're in a car but it certainly seems to be a lot
more stable at walking speeds.

Dan