Using wpa_supplicant and hostapd over Wired LAN for EAP-SIM

Chaudry Chaudry novalystitag
Fri Sep 7 05:19:54 PDT 2012

Hi,
I am planning to use wpa_supplicant and hostapd on the wired LAN for
EAP-SIM testing. For that, I have referred to the below community chat:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2006-January/012537.html

Here the wpa_supplicant is used as EAP-Peer while the hostapd as AAA Server
but in the middle the Cisco Switch is used as authenticator.
For that, the below mentioned configuration is used:

CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=y
CONFIG_EAP_MD5=y
CONFIG_EAP_MSCHAPV2=y
CONFIG_EAP_SIM=y

CONFIG_PCSC=y

CONFIG_DRIVER_WIRED=y

CONFIG_BACKEND=file

CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE=y
*CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_UDP=y*

Normally the EAPOL packets are transported between authenticator and
supplicant and they are encapsulated within Ethernet frames directly. Now
from the above parameter, are we changing the control interface to UDP over
which the EAPOL packets are encapsulated first or what?  In the
wpa_supplicant and hostapd, is it possible to send the eapol packets over
UDP between EAP-Peer and authenticator ?

Secondly, is it possible to use the hostapd as switch (authenticator)
instead of real switch for EAP-SIM testing over wired LAN.  From the
documentation, it can be guessed that hostapd can be configured as
standalone switch as well. Did anybody try that so far?

wpa_supplicant (EAP-SIM supplicant)  <----> hostapd (authenticator + AAA
Server)

Any details will be appreciated.

BR,