hostapd with nl80211/cfg80211 based drivers

Johannes Berg johannes
Mon Oct 15 00:06:38 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 02:00 +0300, Eugene wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see that hostapd support different ways to communicate with FullMAC based drivers to configure interface and
> exchange IEEE 802.11 and IEEE 802.1x frames.
>
> Which way is right one by hostapd concept, and which is deprecated?
> 1) netlink messages
> 2) monitor interface (socket)
> 3) ...
>
> Also looks like that release 1.0 do not support netlink messages for AP mode (especially for MGMT frames), and
> have to be used development repository instead.
> Am I right?

Yes. The difference between fullmac/softmac is where the
authentication/association etc. processing happens, but the APIs all are
both over netlink (given upstream work and not using hostap driver.)

johannes