wpa_supplicant TKIP countermeasures

Jonathan Bagg jbagg
Mon Nov 26 13:32:37 PST 2012

On 12-11-24 10:11 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> The log file (wpa_log2.txt) seemed to be truncated, so I could not check
> what was the exact behavior at the end of the countermeasures period. It
> looks like the is rejecting various connection attempts at this point
> and that may result in a state where the connection attempts get stopped
> ("wlan0: Already associated with the selected AP"). I think this area
> has received some fixes in the current 2.0-devel branch, so it might be
> interesting to run a test with that to check whether this has already
> been resolved.
>
> As far as the initial connection attempt is concerned, that shouldn't
> really be there. This commit can be used to remove it in some cases
> (this was added after v1.0):
> http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=commitdiff;h=8945cc451fde346dea6b39a3e5b69642935a93b3
Jouni, thank you for the info.  I did a git clone http://w1.fi/hostap.git
git branch -a shows...

* master
   remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
   remotes/origin/android
   remotes/origin/android-jb
   remotes/origin/android-stable-2012-03
   remotes/origin/android-stable-2012-03-hs20
   remotes/origin/aosp-jb
   remotes/origin/master

Which one is the 2.0-devel branch?

> This is pretty easy thing to do with this included in the Linux kernel
> tree:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=commitdiff;h=681d119047761cc59a15c0bb86891f3a878997cf

I enabled CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUGFS=y and CONFIG_MAC80211_TKIP_DEBUG=y in
my compat-wireless-v3.5.1 config.mk and now I see the tkip_mic_test
under /proc/sys/debug/ieee80211/phy0/netdev:wlan0 on the AP.  On the AP,
when I

echo 90:56:82:3F:02:7F > tkip_mic_test
or
echo ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff > tkip_mic_test

I do not see any MIC failures come out on station 90:56:82:3F:02:7F.  Am
I missing something?

Jon