AWUSO36H - RealTek 8187L - WPA Ad-Hoc

WebDawg webdawg
Sun Nov 11 09:42:59 PST 2012

I have been trying to get two of these in WPA Ad-Hoc mode and came
across a message on this list that WPA Ad-Hoc is broken.

Message:

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:19:43AM +0200, Kees-Jan Hermans wrote:
> Is it at all possible ? iwconfig and kismet confirm that I keep sending
> in plaintext mode, even when I set a 'psk' in the wpa_supplicant config.

This depends on the driver.. With some, WPA-None may work, with other,
it doesn't. That said, I would not recommend using WPA-None
(key_mgmt=WPA-NONE) at all. If you really need to use IBSS and need
security, using proper RSN (proto=RSN, key_mgmt=WPA-PSK, pairwise=CCMP)
would be more robust mechanism. Though, the same problem of this not
working with many drivers is still there.

Is this true?  I want to build a wireless bridge with two USB adapters
that take external antennas.  The AWUSO36H came with a small panel
antenna that I wanted to use.

I would like a USB adapter that I can set in Master mode to use hostap
with and connect an antenna to.   I would like it to have a high
output.

I originally purchased two of the above adapters and two of the
AWUSO36NH's also made by alpha.  They are stated to be usable by
backtrack on many forums but after I found out about master mode and
how these devices do not work with it I am wondering why anyone would
ever recommend these devices to do anything if the capabilities of
them are limited?

I am also wondering why wpa_supplicant does not (in its man file or
elsewhere) tell users that WPA Ap mode is broken for most drivers?

Thanks,

Web.