IEEE 802.11w support in wpa_supplicant ("Management frame protection required, but client did not enable it" error)

Michael Zintakis michael.zintakis
Sun May 6 06:40:47 PDT 2012

>> If it is the hardware then that is out of the question, at least for
>> now. If it is the software driver, then I may have a chance as I pointed
>> out above.
>>

> I would guess that this ends up requiring firmware and driver changes
> and an update to a newer wpa_supplicant. While theoretically doable,
> this does not sound exactly practical since the components you are using
> are years older than the standard you are trying to implement.

Thank you both Jouni and Kalle for your answers.

I guess I have two choices: 1) either abandon the idea of 11w (provided
neither compat-wireless nor the TI-supplied WiLink driver support that
standard, not to mention the actual TI hardware chip) and don't waste my
time any further with this; or 2) upgrade my smartphone and endure the
pain associated with such exercise (I have a lot of custom-made software
on that phone)...