wpa_supplicant not perform 4way handshake while using wpa-psk security

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Jan 31 09:05:34 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:52:21PM +0800, Vasanth Ragavendran wrote:
> I am using hostapd and wpa-supplicant ver 0.8.x for my ap and client
> running linux 2.6.31 version with mips architecture. There is some issue
> while trying to use WPA-PSK security method. With the hostapd running I
> give the command to run wpa_supplicant. However, it says 'ASSOCIATED' when
> run in debug mode. and after which it doesn't perform a 4-way handshake. it
> immediately disconnects from the AP and tries to scan and associate again.

It is not wpa_supplicant disconnecting, but the driver reporting a
disconnection.. wpa_supplicant is waiting for an EAPOL packet from the
AP to start 4-way handshake - no such frame is visible in the debug log
you sent.

> wpa_supplicant -c/tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf -iath0 -bbr0 -dd

Could you please start by running the test without using the bridge
interface? I.e., remove ath0 from any bridge and remove that -b
parameter. I would assume that the problem here was in the EAPOL frames
getting lost somewhere in the networking stack and use of bridging in
station mode is usually a very good way of getting those frames lost..