Station sent an invalid association request?

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Jan 12 09:02:22 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 04:21:49PM +0200, Otto Kek?l?inen wrote:
> Dump at http://otto.kekalainen.net/hostapd/wireshark.dump
> My network is SSID Kotiverkko and AP machine mac is f4:ec:38:de:c8:d2.
> The machine that fails to connect is 00:22:43:97:2f:9c.

If you look at frame 612 in that capture log, you can see the corrupted
Association Request from the station. It looks like the RSN IE is
corrupted by the vendor specific IE that is before it. As such, that
station is very broken and cannot really use RSN (WPA2). hostapd
behavior here seems reasonable since even if the parsing failure would
be ignored, that station would not be allowed to connect due to
incorrect security settings (that RSN IE really needs to be properly
included in the association request).

In other words, this question should be directed to whoever is
maintaining the driver for that station device.