Supplicant functionality in hostapd ?

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Jan 11 21:30:19 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:21:39PM +0530, uday kiran wrote:
> So if i want my wifi interface to switch from AP to station , Is it must to
> kill hostapd and start wpa_supplicant on that interface ?

If you use hostapd for AP mode, then yes, you will need to kill the
hostapd process before using the interface as a station.

> Or is there any mechanism in hostapd itself which makes it act as
> supplicant too ?

Not really, but there is support for AP mode in wpa_supplicant, so
depending on your AP mode configuration needs, you might be able to use
wpa_supplicant for both the AP and station functionality.