[RFC] P2P: Handling single channel concurrency

Reinette Chatre reinette.chatre
Tue Jan 3 10:32:05 PST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 03:15 -0800, Jithu Jance wrote:
> This patch attempts to handle the single channel concurrency scenario where we initially have a P2P connection and then a STA connection is attempted.
>
> As a first step, i tried implementing following things.
> 1. When STA connection is attempted, try to find whether there is any frequency conflict between any other interface.
> 2. If the conflicting interface is a P2P GO, announce channel switch in beacons and move the GO. /* Just a hook is provided. Functionality is not yet implemented */
> 3. If GO is not able to move the channel or the driver doesn't support the functionality, remove the P2P GO interface.
> 4. If the conflicting interface is a P2P Client, disconnect & remove the client interface.
>

> Request your opinion on the below patch.

It would be nice if there were some hooks available to enable user to
have an opinion about the action being taken. The STA connection may (1)
be automated and be requested without user's knowledge, (2) be requested
by user not knowing that the current connection may be dropped, etc. For
example, user may not want to be disconnected from the current WFD
session with their TV when trying to send email at same time, user may
prefer to defer sending the email. Just dropping the WFD session is a
rather bad user experience in this example. In any case if such a
drastic action is taken I do think we need to give user an opportunity
to make the decision. Please note that I am not proposing policy inside
wpa_supplicant, but it seems like we need to start looking into making
hooks available to support this.

Reinette