reason for association failure accessible over DBus ?

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Aug 24 02:46:56 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:11:58AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> I've seen a patch that exports a DisconnectReason to the DBus interface.
> But as far as I can see the disconnect reason is always 0 in case the
> PSK is incorrect. Is that expected?

WPA2-Personal (i.e., use of PSK/passphrase) does not provide an explicit
indication of the failure if the PSK was incorrect. As such,
wpa_supplicant does not have a reliably mechanism for figuring out that
this was indeed the reason for failing 4-way handshake. It is possible
to assume that this was the case if the AP does not send msg 3/4 after
the station has sent msg 2/4, but there are no guarantees on that
assumption being correct.