Testing wap_supplicant over LAN

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Aug 20 06:42:04 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 03:12:47PM +0200, Chaudry Chaudry wrote:
> I want to ask if it possible to test wpa_supplicant over LAN by giving the
> interface "-i" as eth0 instead of wlan0 as input parameter. I know about
> "eapol_test", but I want to use EAP-SIM peer over LAN only and "eapol_test"
> is combination of EAP-Peer and Radius Client. Any pointer to this will be
> appreciated.

You can use wpa_supplicant for wired IEEE 802.1X authentication, so if
you have a suitable authenticator (likely some kind of managed switch or
build your own using hostapd), you can use that to run EAPOL/EAP
authentication over wired ethernet. Alternatively, preauth_test could be
used to do this using the RSN pre-authentication ethertype instead of
EAPOL, but the end result is more or less the same.