How to use eapol_test for running EAP-Peer and Radius Client on separate machines

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Aug 3 02:30:48 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 09:51:43AM +0200, Aamer Sattar wrote:
> I have used eapol_test for EAP-SIM testing with hostapd as a Radius Server.
> Now as eapol_test contains both the EAP-Peer and Radius Client inside it. I
> want to separate out the EAP-Peer and Radius Client to run the both
> components on separate machines for showing the below concept:
>
> EAP-Peer <----> Radius Client (E.g. AP) <----->Radius Server

How about run an AP on the separate host and a WLAN station (or same
using the 'wired' driver interface and Ethernet) on the device that runs
EAP-Peer?

> Should I try to just separate out functionality in eapol_test.c or some
> other relevant components to achieve it easily. Any pointers to this will
> be highly appreciated.

I'm not sure why you would use eapol_test.c for this.. This is the
normal use case for APs and NAS devices in general. The main purpose of
eapol_test was to avoid having to do that with two components. If you
want to use a separate test tool, you could use hostapd on the "AP"
(e.g., with driver=none or driver=test to avoid having to have any WLAN
hardware) and then use preauth_test on the EAP client. This uses RSN
pre-authentication frames between the EAP-Peer and RADIUS client and is
pretty similar to the case of using wired IEEE 802.1X.