Doubts regarding implementing 802.11r

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Apr 6 08:04:31 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:30:51AM +0530, rupesh sanagapalli wrote:
> 1)After Installing PTK and GTK, supplicant prepares auth_request_frame
> for the next ft authentication sequence and informs the
>    IEs to the driver through update_ft_ies() function. I haven't found
> driver_nl80211.c or driver_wext.c implement this call back. So, how
> does
>    our driver get this prepared IEs from supplicant?

Station mode of IEEE 802.11r is currently supported only with drivers
that use SME from wpa_supplicant.

> 2)After ft (Re)association response from access point, we need to pass
> IEs to the supplicant to process the response and install the PTK and
> GTK. This functionality
>    is implemented in the function wpa_ft_validate_reassoc_resp(), but
> this function is called only if CONFIG_SME is defined. How to call
> this  wpa_ft_validate_reassoc_resp in non SME based drivers.

Same here, i.e., this drivers that implement SME are not currently
supported in IEEE 802.11r station mode with the nl80211 driver
interface. There is some ongoing work in this area, but nothing complete
so far.