wpa_supplicant not supporting nl80211

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Sep 20 08:25:10 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 21:07 +0530, yuva raj wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am using Fedora 14-64bit laptop.  It has wpa_supplicant version
> 0.6.8.  I have installed wireless driver also.  I am able to connect
> to wireless networks from Network Manager.  But when I issue the
> command 'wpa_supplicant -h', it doesnt display 'nl80211' under drivers
> section.

wpa_supplicant on F14 is not built with nl80211 enabled because it was
pretty old at the time that F14 was released, and I wasn't sure how well
it would work with the kernels at release time and later, given that
Fedora upgrades kernel versions periodically.  Fixes and enhancements
for wpa_supplicant's nl80211 driver were almost exclusively added to
wpa_supplicant 0.7.x and 0.8.x.  F15 and later moved to wpa_supplicant
0.7.x which has better nl80211 support; I'd suggest using F15 instead
there, or building the F15 wpa_supplicant on your F14 install and using
that instead (it works, I've done it, but it does mess up the kernel's
iwl3945 driver somewhat badly; other hardware works fine).

Dan