WPA-EAP network stops working after random interval

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Nov 23 12:54:38 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 07:29:45PM +0100, H?vard Espeland wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. The complete log from my previous post is available here:
> http://www.ping.uio.no/~gus/rot/eduroam-problems.txt

As far as wpa_supplicant is concerned, everything seemed to work fine.
The initial connection was successful and the AP re-keyed its GTK a bit
over 19 minutes after this. That group key handshake was completed
successfully.

How did you notice that the network connection was not working? Could it
be possible that unicast packets would still be going through and just
reception of broadcast/multicast packets would be broken after the group
key handshake?

It looks like this issue would need debugging at a lower level, i.e.,
either trying to get some debug information from the driver or with a
wireless sniffer. I'm not familiar with the driver you were using, so I
cannot help with that. As far as use of wireless sniffer is concerned, I
could potentially take a look at a sniffer trace, but this would likely
require that I know some of the keys used in the connection which may
not be exactly good thing in a production network.