ap scanning?

Dan Williams dcbw
Wed May 4 12:28:30 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 16:57 -0700, Daniel Halperin wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think hostapd scans, but how are you connecting the client? It
> > could be scanning.
>
> The problem is hard to reproduce, but appears to happen ~30s after
> something I do, such as associating or connecting the card or starting
> a TCP session, (usually between seconds 25-27 of the iperf transfer).
> Both endpoints are running Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS, and I've uninstalled
> from both Network-Manager, which is the typical source of these woes.

NM has (for quite some time) disabled it's periodic scanning behavior if
you lock the connection to a single BSSID.  If you don't, then you're
assumed to want to roam between APs in a multi-AP network and thus you
probably actually do want periodic scanning, if only to make sure that
AP roaming works smoothly.

Dan