Setting up Access Point

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 15 07:07:04 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:01:01AM +1100, linux newbie wrote:
> I am  running Linux on our embedded platform (Station A) with PXA255 chip.
>
> * I have 2 wireless interfaces i.e eth1 (cisco card) and wlan0 (Ralink
> chipset card) and they are working.
> * using "brctl" utility, I created the bridge br0
> * I enabled Hostapd on wlan0 interface.
> * eth1 connects to external Access Point using WPA and I am using
> wpa_supplicant to do this task.

IEEE 802.11 protocol does not support bridging of a station mode
interface at link layer since it cannot send frames with any other
source MAC address than its own. As such, you would need to use some
other mechanism here like 4-address WDS frames (if the external AP
supports them) or some sort of masquerading NAT/proxy ARP etc.