Not doing a scan before associating with an Access Point

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos
Thu Jun 23 15:14:09 PDT 2011

Hello all,

               I am trying to reduce the time it takes to associate to an
Access Point. I realized that with the default wpa_supplicant settings (i.e.
ap_scan=1) there is a scan that the interface does with probe requests to
all channels before the association. This is essentially a 800-1000 ms delay
which I would like to remove completely.

               I've tried setting ap_scan=2 and the frequency of the access
point I want wpa_supplicant to associate to, and indeed there is no scanning
(I've checked it with a monitoring interface) but also no association! I
also tried ap_scan=0, but unfortunately with the same results.

               Any idea how can I remove this scan but manage to associate
with the access point I want to?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Panos