hostap AP connected but cannot ping

Uday Yeddula uday.yeddula
Fri Jun 10 03:50:25 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to configure an embedded device as an Access Point. It has
Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express). I
have Ubuntu 9.10 Server version installed in the box. ("2.6.31-14-generic
#48-Ubuntu SMP"). Using hostapd deamon with ath9k driver for the same.

I have built hostapd using libnl-dev and libssl-dev packages.
After starting the hostapd with the hostapd.conf (sudo ./hostapd
hostapd.conf), tried connecting my laptop to this AP.
The connection was successful but cannot ping from my laptop to the AP.*

user at user:~$ sudo hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Using interface wlan2 with hwaddr 00:26:b6:de:f3:9b and ssid 'test'
wlan2: STA 00:26:82:c9:d3:30 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
wlan2: STA 00:26:82:c9:d3:30 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
wlan2: STA 00:26:82:c9:d3:30 RADIUS: starting accounting session
4DF1F33A-00000000
*
On further analysis found that, my laptop sends the ARP request to the AP
box. The AP box sends the ARP reply (observed using tcpdump on the AP box)
but my laptop cannot see the ARP reply.
If I restart hostapd deamon at this point, it works fine. (My laptop can
ping the AP).
The AP is not stable. my laptop can always connect to it. But some times the
ping to the AP fails.

Has any one seen similar issue? Can you help me with the fix for this
problem?
I have tried both hostapd-0.6.9 and hostapd-0.7.3 versions and found same
problem on both versions.

The hostapd.conf used is as follows:

hostapd.conf:

interface=wlan0