how to fix P2P GO ssid and security

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Jul 25 06:50:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 04:28:08PM +0530, raghunathan.kailasanathan at wipro.com wrote:
> In wpa_supplicant is there a way to fix the P2P GO SSID, authentication and encryption (with key) ? Whenever I create a GO with p2p_group_add I get a random SSID, with security set to WPA2-PSK-CCMP. Logs -

The only way to use fixed SSID or passphrase in a P2P group is by using
a manually configured persistent group. All other P2P use cases follow
the requirement to generate a random SSID and passphrase per P2P
specification.

> I want GO to come up always with SSID "MY-P2P-GO" and WPA-PSK key "test123". Is this possible through the wpa_supplicant ?

That SSID is not a valid P2P SSID, so I would recommend against using it
(the SSID has to start with "DIRECT-" followed by two characters).
Please also note that the passphrase you mentioned here is not valid
(min 8 characters).

For example, you could add following to the wpa_supplicant configuration
file:

network={
        mode=3
        disabled=2
        ssid="DIRECT-AB-example"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        proto=RSN
        pairwise=CCMP
        psk="12345678"
}

and then start that persistent group manually with

wpa_cli p2p_group_add persistent=0

(assuming the network block is the first one, i.e., it has the network
id 0)