Any idea why hostapd won't send wmm_param elements?

Sam Leffler sleffler
Mon Jan 31 06:51:03 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:37:32PM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
>> Also, since it appears invalid to have HT40 w/out wmm enabled,
>> maybe we should have hostapd warn or even fail to start
>> if a user manages to configure it thus?
>
> Why would that be invalid? Sure, it disables A-MPDU aggregation, but you
> don't need WMM (or IEEE 802.11 QoS) to use HT20/HT40 and MCS rates. Many
> station devices may refuse to use 802.11n, but I don't see any strict
> rules that would disallow this type of configuration.

While the h/w is clearly capable of sending at MCS w/o WMM the spec
says 11n =>'s WMM so I think the 11n config knob should auto-enable
WMM.  The only reason I can think to not enable WMM is for testing.

-Sam