wpa_supplicant roaming not working with nl80211 driver

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Jan 23 08:35:18 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:08:38PM -0800, Lin Ma wrote:
> Current kernel cfg80211 framework seems to have a problem handling roaming.
> Upon scan event, wpa_supplicant will roam if a BSSID with better signal
> strength is found (in wpa_supplicant_need_to_roam). It calls
> wpa_supplicant_connect and eventually to kernel's __cfg80211_connect.
> However  __cfg80211_connect check current status and returns -EALREADY if it
> is already connected

Which driver are you using? I don't have any real devices that would
need the connect command (i.e., I test nl80211 only with drivers that
use mac80211). It took a while to get roaming working properly with
mac80211, but that is now mostly addressed. It sounds like the connect
command has similar issues that would need to be debugged and worked
around in wpa_supplicant or modified in the kernel interface. Since I do
not have any device that would actually use that interface, this is
unlikely to get very high on my priority list, though, so it would be
useful if someone else can work on this.