wpa_suppliccant complains about " Name not unique on network"

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Dec 18 04:04:07 PST 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 03:46:58PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> I've trying to simulate a few of stations associating to an AP, so
> added a virtual interface with:
>
> sudo iw dev wlan0 interface add sta0 type managed

> sudo ./wpa_supplicant -dd  -c /tmp/wpa-psk-tkip.conf -iwlan0 -N -c
> /tmp/wpa-psk-tkip-2.conf -ista0

You'll probably need to change the MAC address of that sta0 interface
for this type of use.

> Could not set interface sta0 flags: Name not unique on network

This error is not really from wpa_supplicant, but from the kernel and
most likely caused by there being a requirement of station interfaces
having a unique MAC address.