WPA_gui signal indications are zero with nl80211

Kel Modderman kel
Fri Dec 16 16:21:44 PST 2011

> Hello all,
>

>                 I just got the latest development version of wpa_supplicant through git. I
> got the wpa_gui via apt-get.
>

> When I run wpa_supplicant with the -Dnl80211 driver (I am running ath5k) all the signal
> indications when doing scan in wpa_gui is zero and nothing I do can change that (even if I
> run wpa_supplicant v.0.7.3). if I run wpa_supplicant with -Dwext the signal indications
> are right.
>

> Anyone knows why and how to fix it?

wpa_gui is parsing a quality value that the nl80211 driver doesn't yield that
wext does. Commit ef992bbd3b044eeea68c6677ff878cb1d2ed29c1 tries to improve the
situation by having wpa_gui report the signal strength in dBm.

Thanks, Kel.