802.11a/n

David Goodenough david.goodenough
Tue Aug 16 08:40:40 PDT 2011

On Tuesday 16 Aug 2011, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 04:37:13 PM David Goodenough wrote:
> > >
> > > Because [at least in the US] the FCC dictates that an AP which
> > > operates in the 5GHz band has to support DFS and TPC.
> > >
> > > http://www.elliottlabs.com/documents/dynamic_frequency_selection_and_5g
> > > hz_b and.pdf [http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/DFS]
> > >
> > > Currently, neither DFS nor TPC are not implementated, therefore you are
> > > not allowed to operate a 5GHz AP, the law is as simple as that.
> >
> > In which case should the list say that DFS and/or TPC are required.
>
> Are you questioning your own government :D ? They make the laws, so you
> have to ask them.
Its not my government, I am in the UK and so not subject to the FCC.  However
Ofcom do have similar requirements.

Its not the reason it is disabled I was questioning, it was the way that
the user was told about it.

> > I seem to recall that there is work going on to do this
>
> not anymore.
That is a big shame.  The developers/DFS page you reference above does
not indicate that the effort has stopped.  But the last IRC action plan
is last year, so maybe it just stopped.

David