[ath9k-devel] DWA-556 not working as AP

sami ahokas sami.m.ahokas
Mon Aug 8 22:45:04 PDT 2011

2011/8/6 Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org>:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:48:42 +0300
> sami ahokas <sami.m.ahokas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if my issue is related to ath9k driver or hostapd so I'm
>> sending this to both lists.
>> If I reboot my board after this, AP role works right from the start.
>> But if I toggle the power of my board, AP mode gets broken again. What
>> could cause this kind of behavior? Is there something in AR5418
>> registers that is left uninitialized in AP mode in the driver or
>> hostapd?
>
> That's clearly something in the hardware, so hostapd is irrelevant here.
>
>> I'm using Linux kernel version 2.6.33 on powerpc platform. Hostapd
>> version is 0.7.3 and wpa_supplicant is 0.7.3 too.
>
> The first thing should be to test the card with the latest kernel or
> with compat-wireless. ?For Linux wireless drivers, 2.6.33 is stone
> age :)
>
> You can also check the card with MadWifi trunk snapshot. ?If that works
> fine, chances are that ath9k does something wrong, otherwise I would
> suspect the hardware.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I chose to try the MadWifi driver, but now I'm
not able to set interface to master mode. Here is what hostapd gives
me when I try start it:

root at samia:~# hostapd -B -P /var/run/hostapd.pid /var/run/wlan_ap.conf
Configuration file: /var/run/wlan_ap.conf
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Invalid argument
Could not set interface to master mode!
madwifi driver initialization failed.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=6 eloop_data=0x106677a0 user_data=(nil)
handler=0x100338a4

Some ioctl command seems to be the problem. Could there be something
missing from my environment? I attach my hostapd config file here too:

cat /var/run/wlan_ap.conf
interface=ath0
bridge=br0
driver=madwifi
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
country_code=FI
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
max_num_sta=255
wmm_enabled=0
rts_threshold=2347
fragm_threshold=2346
macaddr_acl=0
hw_mode=g
channel=4
eapol_version=2
ssid=test_wlan
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
auth_algs=1
wpa=1
wpa_passphrase=xyxyxyxyxyxyxy
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP

I haven't been using MadWifi driver before so this might be some
stupid newbie configuration mistake. But if someone could steer me to
right direction I would appreciate that.

Sami