wpa_supplicant doesn't reconnect to hostapd

Andrew Gaydenko a
Mon Sep 27 00:39:03 PDT 2010

Hi!

I'm running WiFi AP (hostapd/nl80211) and STA (Wicd) in my home net. More or
less all does work fine at last (after adding a ping from client to server
every few seconds in background). The only problem I have - client
reconnection (disconnect/connect cycles) works few times only (1-5 times),
ending with unsuccessful authentification.

Two contradictive facts take place:

1. Reloading hostapd on the AP side permits Wicd to reconnect, while client
rebooting(!) doesn't help.

2. Another client - my son's Nokia mobile phone (don't know a model) -
reconnects with this AP without problems (we have tried 10 cycles).

So, you see, first fact says something wrong with AP, while the second one
says something wrong with client side (wpa-supplicant under wicd). Or you can
treat these facts in strictly opposite way

About setup. Up to date Kubuntu Maverick testing with backports enabled on
both sides. ASUS USB-N11 adapters are in use on both sides. It means RT2870
chip.

Already have tried:

- hostapd from git,
- wpa_supplicabt 0.7.3 on the client side (instead of 0.6.10 from official
ubuntu archive),
- connecting/disconnecting  on the client side via CLI,
- and plenty of configuration settings.

.. with the same "very stable effect". In particular, have tried auth_algs/wpa
combination shown below (cases 1-3). The behavior is the same.

#-------------------------------------
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ssid=someAP
hw_mode=g
channel=11

macaddr_acl=1
accept_mac_file=/etc/hostapd/hostapd.accept

## case 1
#auth_algs=3
#wpa=1

## case 2
auth_algs=1
wpa=2

## case 3
#auth_algs=3
#wpa=3

rsn_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_passphrase=someChars

Thoughts?
Must I supply some additional information? At which setup environment?

Andrew