Unable to use channel

Alan lameventanas
Sun Sep 12 20:06:08 PDT 2010

Hello people,

I'm trying to set up an access point based on a Broadcom 4318 wifi
card and Linux.
After setting up the wlan0 interface I try to start hostapd 0.7.3, but
it doesn't work:

bash# hostapd -B -P /var/run/hostapd-wlan0.pid /etc/hostapd-wlan0.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd-wlan0.conf
Could not set channel for kernel driver
wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory

File /etc/hostapd-wlan0.conf contains:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd-wlan0
driver=nl80211
bridge=br0
interface=wlan0
ssid=r6
hw_mode=g
ieee80211n=1
channel=1
auth_algs=3
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=12345678
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP

I have tried with different channels, but always get the same error message.
I don't have crda installed, but I want to confirm if this is the
problem before going through the pain of installing python, python
modules, and whatnot.

Thanks.

Alan