wpa_supplicant can connect, but reconnect immediately

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Sep 9 10:07:12 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 11:59 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 11:41 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 14:00 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I want wpa_supplicant scans the available AP and based on priority connects a particular AP.
> > >
> > > watch "wpa_cli status"
> > >
> > > shows that wpa_supplicant can connect the AP but immediately it disconnects. It happens again and again after a regular interval. Why wpa-supplicant lost the AP even after make the association ? Here is my wpa_supplicant related configuration
> >
> > I guess NetworkManager does it.  Try stopping it:
> > service NetworkManager stop
>
> It might be NM, it might be the driver.
>
> But if you're running NetworkManager to manage your network interfaces,
> NM is *already* running a wpa_supplicant for the wifi interface.  YOu
> can tell NM to "unmanage" certain devices (which lets you do whatever
> you want with them without NM trying to scan or connect at the same
> time) by:
>
> 1) add ",keyfile" to the end of the plugins= line
> in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Slight correction; there's usually already some other pligin enabled
like ifcfg-rh, ifupdown, ifcfg-suse, etc.  If that's the case, you want:

[main]
plugins=ifcfg-rh,keyfile

but if there is no existing plugin, or if keyfile is already enabled,
the line should look like this:

[main]
plugins=keyfile