ath5k with hostapd, low beacon rate then no beacons at all (missing/lost/beacons)

John McLean jdmclean
Mon Nov 29 09:07:54 PST 2010

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour.

Running hostapd with no clients, or with just one client connected.

Seeing
 beacon rate from 2/second up to 1 every 15 seconds, and anything in
between. (beacon rate being completely intermittent) Then the beacons
will go away completely for minutes at a time, (I've recorded as long as
 seven minutes) then they re-appear at this random rate. (with no input from any outside source that I can see)

Using:

kernel: 2.6.32
ath5k.ko 0.6.0
compat-wireless-2.6.32.16
hostapd 0.7.2

Monitoring with wireshark running on windows xp with an AirPcap Nx usb adaptor.

My hostapd config is:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
interface=wlan0
bridge=br0
driver=nl80211
ssid=H040109D0311
auth_algs=3
channel=6
hw_mode=g
ieee8021x=0
wmm_enabled=0
wpa=2
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
wpa_group_rekey=300
wpa_gmk_rekey=86400
wpa_passphrase=newworld

I can provide any additional info, pcap traces, etc.

Thx for any input!

Cheers, John