Log file proposal

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Nov 18 03:14:13 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:36:34AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> The log file for wpa_supplicant rarely if ever uses the wpa_s->ifname,
> so when you are running with multiple interfaces, the logs are not so
> useful.

Yes.. That has also been getting worse recently with the addition of P2P
and dynamic group interface..

> One option is to search for all logging calls and explicitly add the
> name to the log messages, but it might be better to make a new
> method that assumes wpa_s exists and automatically append the name
> to the front of the string.  We can then add a new logging method
> that doesn't assume wpa_s for places.

The "new method" already exists: wpa_msg(). In other words, wpa_printf()
calls should be replaced with wpa_msg() in place where this matters (and
where wpa_s pointer is available). wpa_printf() can remain in its
current form that does not require wpa_s pointer to avoid having to
change all the close to 7000 existing users..