Problem with latest wpa_supplicant from GIT

Jouni Malinen j
Sun May 23 10:28:35 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 06:29:19PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> I am seeing the following with latest wpa_supplicant and an up-to-date
> Fedora 12.

> process 15355: arguments to dbus_message_new_signal() were incorrect, assertion "path != NULL" failed in file dbus-message.c line 1162.
> This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
>   D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
> #5  0x000000000043a389 in wpa_supplicant_dbus_notify_state_change (
>     wpa_s=<value optimized out>, new_state=WPA_INACTIVE,
>     old_state=WPA_DISCONNECTED) at dbus/dbus_old.c:424

I'm not sure what exactly has caused this, but an early state change is
now happening before the D-Bus interface is ready for it. I tried to
reorder the steps a bit to avoid this, but that seemed to require more
changes that I wanted to do at this point. It looks like it is fine to
just drop the first state change signal and handle this by minimal code
change that makes the D-Bus code skip the signals that may happen before
initialization has been completed. The only signal that I noticed was
this wpa_state change from its default value (WPA_DISCONNECTED) to
WPA_INACTIVE when the configuration file does not include any enabled
networks.