802.1X-2010 Standard

Jouni Malinen j
Sun May 23 07:05:31 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 12:25:44PM -0400, Kenneth Watson wrote:
> The current hostap code base appears to be based on the 802.1X-2004
> Standard.  I was wondering if 802.1X-2010 was on the development radar
> for hostap.

I don't see any point in updating to IEEE 802.1X-2010 as far as IEEE
802.11 networks are concerned and as such, this is not that high on my
to-do list (or well, not on the list at all). For other network types,
it may be of more benefit, but I would like to see some more demand for
it before actually using much more time to see what exactly would be
needed to be able to support both 2004 and 2010 versions at the same
time.. I don't want to move the wireless LAN side and WPA integration
away from 2004 since the design directions taken in IEEE 802.1X-2010
were not really ideal for this.