Hostapd does not support 5Ghz config, but my card does

Jouni Malinen j
Wed May 19 14:18:47 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 04:01:49PM +0200, Laurent B wrote:

> I'm having problems setting up hostapd 0.7.2 in order to run 5ghz band in N
> mode

hostapd itself would be fine with 5 GHz configuration, but the driver
does not allow it to be used for AP mode and hostapd will follow
whatever the driver tells it in this context.

> For me the ath9k module is ok as I can do a "iwconfig chan 48" (see below)

I would assume this is only for a passive mode in which no frames are
transmitted without an AP being there first, not for a mode where the
card would be transmitted Beacon frames on its own..

> wlan1: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (48) not found from the channel list
> of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a

This indicates that the driver did not allow AP mode on the specified
channel (either because of the channel not being supported at all or
because of beaconing not being supported on it).

> wifiap:/lib/modules# iw reg get

This will only give you list of generic regulatory rules for the
country; use "iw list" to see more detailed information that the driver
provides (no-IBSS and DFS/radar detection flags prevent hostapd from
using the channel).