Use wpa_cli as NetworkManager replacement

Curtis Larsen curtlarsen
Wed May 12 00:03:29 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am not a developer, just a user that has several reasons to replace
ubuntu's network manager with something like wpa_supplicant with wpa_cli:

- It connects faster (In general I would say 2-3x faster than ubuntu NM)
- It lets me specify 5Ghz band = double throughput at work.
- It gives me text/debug output for troubleshooting.

However; I cannot seem to find documentation for how to integrate
wpa_cli with wpa_supplicant the way I would like to.

I would simply like to be able to launch it from the CLI, have it prompt
for my username/password (at work), or PSK (at home), and see the debug
text while it authenticates, connects, and grabs DHCP.

The closest thing I have found to this is something like this:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/it/wireless/linux.html  ...but I cannot even get
wpa_supplicant to prompt me for a PSK so far.

Is this even possible?  Could someone walk me through the basic steps to
make wpa_supplicant return the wpa_cli prompt for UN or PSK like this,
or point me to some documentation on this?

(Right now I run the ./wpa_supplicant command,then dhclient to get dhcp
which works great but I want something more automated that maybe doesn't
leave my password or PSK in a text file)

Thanks,

Curtis