After connecting with wpa_supplicant, dhcp is not working

Jouni Malinen j
Sat May 1 12:51:26 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:54:26AM -0400, Aaron Small wrote:
> Has anyone experienced something like this, or have an idea how to
> diagnose it? I have wpa_supplicant logs collected with -dd if these
> would be of any help.

Both the DHCP and IP connectivity (likely ARP failing) sound like
problems with broadcast frames. The 24-48 hour window when things work
could be the time it takes for the AP to change its broadcast frame
encryption key (GTK). My initial guess would be on the AP having some
problems unless you can clearly show that you have a client that works
now while another client does not.

The part to look at in the logs would be the group key configuration
(GTK), including the key index. If you can easily generate debug logs
from wpa_supplicant when then connection works and when it fails, that
could provide some more information to confirm that this is indeed
likely related to GTK rekeying. Additional step would be to use a
wireless sniffer to check which key index the broadcast data frames are
using and whether it matches with the key that was configured on the
client (mainly, that the key index is same).