wpa_supplicant disconnects and fails to reconnect (wpa-enterprise)

Jouni Malinen j
Sat May 1 07:57:36 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 02:42:23PM +0200, Georges Toth wrote:

> So when I loose the connection that is actually the time when the AP requests
> a re-authentication (AFAICT) and wpa_supplicant fails to do this "correctly".

> I collected some debug output today (using -dd) which contains logs from when
> I first connected to this network, after loosing the connection the first time
> and several re-connection attempts thereafter.
> I can send them on demand if this could be useful for locating the problem
> (~1MB).

Is this referring to the same log that is attached to a debug bug at the
following address?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=10;filename=wpa_supplicant_debug.bz2;att=1;bug=579297

If not, could you please send me the logs? It could also be useful to
get a debug log with timestamps include (add -t on the command line). It
is somewhat unclear what the timing is, but it looks like the
authentication server does not like PEAP session resumption attempts and
then starts behaving incorrect after this. Do you happen to know which
authentication server is used in this network?

Every now and then, authentication seems to actually succeed even with
PEAP session resumption, but the AP disconnect the client shortly after
the successfully completed authentication for some reason.

If you want to run a test without session resumption, you can disable
this by adding fast_reauth=0 to wpa_supplicant configuration file. I
would expect this to avoid some of the problems shown in the log, but it
may not address all the odd behavior shown by the authentication server
or AP.