Upgrade Karmic to wpa_supplicant 0.7.x

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Mar 23 17:02:56 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 13:00 -0600, Curtis Larsen wrote:

> 1- Downloaded wpa_supplicant-0.7.1.tar.gz
> 2- Opened with archive manager and extracted contents to new directory
> "/home/clarsen/wpa_sup"
> 3- Created build time configuration file as mentioned here:
> http://hostap.epitest.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=blob_plain;f=wpa_supplicant/README
> ...but realized the example on that page did not have the nl80211
> driver.
> 4- Discovered file named "defconfig" in "wpa_sup" directory which does
> have nl802.11 driver and so renamed as ".config" with nl80211 driver
> enabled

The defconfig file should be in the wpa_supplicant directory, not in the
top level directory of the sources.

> 5- In the "wpa_sup" directory I typed "make" and this is the *entire*
> output I get:
>
> clarsen at box2:~/wpasup$ make
> for d in ap common crypto drivers eapol_auth eapol_supp eap_common
> eap_peer eap_server l2_packet radius rsn_supp tls utils wps; do [ -d
> $d ] && make -C $d; done
> make: *** [all] Error 1
> clarsen at box2:~/wpasup$

It looks list your archive manager unpacked all files in one directory.
Please tell it to preserve the directory structure.

> 6- I then read the file named "README" in the "wpa_sup" directory
> which says the following:
>

> ...Source code files have been moved around in v0.6.x releases and
> compared to earlier releases, the programs are now build by first
> going to a subdirectory (wpa_supplicant or hostapd) and creating
> build configuration (.config) and running 'make' there (for
> Linux/BSD/cygwin builds).
>
> 7- Then, since I see no subdirectory in the "wpa_sup" directory I
> decided to create one, copied ".config" to it, and then typed "make".

I see.  Since the archive manager didn't create any subdirectories, you
assumed you should create one.

> Here is the output that I got:
>
> clarsen at box2:~/wpasup/wpa_supplicant$ make
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
> clarsen at box2:~/wpasup/wpa_supplicant$

That won't work if there is no makefile in that directory.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin